Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Vi Update

Last Sunday, Malia and Jan took Vi to the emergency room when they observed that she had breathing difficulties. She was intabated (a tube inserted into her throat so she could breathe) and placed in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit). This morning (Wednesday), she had the tracheostomy operation. The surgeon performing the operation was hand picked and had completed the New Zealand Ironman Triathlon with Vi over 6 years ago! The anesthesiologist was also a co-athlete with Vi who had volunteered for the operation. It all went well.

All of this was in accordance with Vi’s wishes. She now can fully recline to sleep. Her body is getting all the oxygen she needs without any concern for CO2 buildup.

She will likely be at Queen’s Hospital for a number of weeks while preparations are made for her home care.

She is surrounded by her family. We will keep you posted on her progress.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update. Prayers are with you, Vi. You are my thoughts quite regularly. You are such an inspiration. The simple things I have to go through and think they are so important, so painful, so unfair - they all pale in comparison to what you are enduring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vi,

    Just wanted to send my love and prayers to you and the family. I just found out today from Bobbi Lee(Parker) that you were in the hospital. I started searching the internet and found this web site....it's great!

    I was reading some of the earlier blogs and loved seeing all that you do and you're never ending zest for life.

    I'll give you a call the next time I'm back in town, would love to come by and see you again.

    Lots of Love,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Vi, Aloha from Iowa. Shari and Edna have been keeping me updated and I have truly enjoyed your pictures with that smile that I keep in my mind always.
    Tell Jan and the rest of your family aloha for me.
    Miss and love you much! Your bud for life!
    Sherrie and family

    ReplyDelete