Tuesday, June 29, 2010

COUNT DOWN TO THE 4TH OF JULY PICNIC FOR ALS

YEAP! This is the count down for the preparations for our ALS 4TH OF JULY PICNIC honoring Yankee baseball star Lou Gehrig's retirement from baseball SEVENTY-SIX YEARS ago when he was diagnosed with ALS. Our Hawaii ALS Ohana have been working very hard to make this event a success to help start a foundation for
helping our Hawaii ALS families in need for a care giver for respite time and also to make sure you have a lot of fun.

This is Hawaii ALS Support Group biggest fund raiser to help our ALS families give quality care to their loved one as well as to give the family time to re-energize themselves. ALS is a disease that can occupy the care giver's time causing burnout if there is no relief for that care give. (I can give you an example, since I am an experienced ALSer: When I go to bed at night, my body molds to the bed making every bump and crease irritable to my body. The weight of my body becomes heavier and heavier and I soon feel my circulating blood slow down in my extremities until their numb. I call on my care giver many times at night to help me get comfortable, to do range of motion on my extremity's and then to take care of all my other needs! I know each morning when the sun is rising to a new day, that care giver is poopped!) Now just imagine if this care giver was a family member and had to go to work! Sooner than later this family would be in chaos.

Many families care for their loved one and do not have the luxury to hire an outside care giver to give the family a time out. Care givers cost anywhere from $10-$25 per hour depending on their schooling, certificate for CNA and experience. Don't forget ALSers need 24/7 care. As you can see, the cost adds up.

Thank you! Hawaii ALS Support Group for making this a success. This OHANA comprises of families with current loved one with ALS, family members who have lost a loved one to ALS and wonderful friends whose hearts have been touched. More than special MAHALO to DIVINA ROBILLARD, RN, MPH. Divina is the founder of Hawaii ALS Group under the MDA. Divina and Natalie have been the ACTION directors for our picnic and I have been the bed potato making sure everything is covered.

Thank you again to all my friends, family and those out there who are touched for supporting Hawaii ALS Support Group.

God bless you all!

Good nite Violet and Bella. Good nite Spike.

Nana loves you!

ALOHA
vi

"All things are possible through my God who strengthens me daily."

1 comment:

  1. aloha Vi,
    my name is yolanda, I've been following your blog for a few months. i have been diagnose with ALS this past March 2010, Im 44y married, i have an 18y old son and a 16y old daughter. im still a little shock but am doing the best i can. i live in kapolei with my family and still working too. i am very greatful for your blog and wanted to thank you alot. I am still researching help out there for me, but i wanted to thank you very much for your site. may God's blessing be with you.
    Aloha,
    yolanda

    ReplyDelete