Sunday, June 13, 2010

SHARE THE CARE IS ALIVE AND WELL

We have been giving out accolades to all of our care givers and everyone else , however we have not forgotten about
our Share the Care, a group of friends and volunteers who generously give us their time to help Jan and I have a life of substance. Share the Care Friends are broken into groups of things that they are interested in helping such as doing the flowers,massage, grocery shopping, cooking once a week, getting the laundry and even as far as helping interview and pick my present care givers. We also have Share the Care Friends and Family that come from the the outer island and mainland spending the week-end to share their love and give the Janster some respite time for himself. We have been blessed to have all these wonderful people in our lives. I pray for every person and family that comes into my room.

First of all I have to tell you how useless I feel to myself and the world. However, I thank the Lord for the use of my neck and facial muscles that I can still smile and mouth the words I want to speak. And how wonderful it is to have Share the Care
Friends come and do the things I use to love to do like cooking and arranging my flowers. We have 5 friends that love to cook and who all take turns one week a month bringing their delicious homemade meals for Jan and caregivers. The food they bring is a feast not only to the palette but for the eyes as well. There are a few gourmet chefs within our Share the Care Friends that are very conscious about their health that now I don't have to worry about what Jan is eating. Thank you to Cellia, Fran, Marian, Punkin and Angie : ) you make me happy when Jan's tummy is filled with your home cooking.

Kathy Q and PJ has been doing an excellent job arranging the beautiful flowers. My family from Hilo have been sending me a steady supply of Hilo's Anthuriums of various colors and sizes and my favorite Dendrobium orchids that lasts forever! Thank you! Most of my friends know how much I love flowers so my room is filled with flowers.

Thanks to Peggy for taking care of our cats, Mama and Baby cat, doing their monthly grooming. Thanks for Allen T, who comes periodically to help our care givers . It's always nice to spend time with friends.

At least once a week, I get a massage from one of our Share the care massage therapist; Andrea, Christa and Sandra. Massage and range of motion are important to keep my circulation going and keep my joints mobile. Any time your visiting, don't be afraid to grab an arm, hand or leg to massage or do some range of motion. One can never do enough of both to help someone with ALS.

There are many others who come to the house to do things around the house or errands that make life easier for us. Thank you
to those others! I want you to know how happy it makes to see you and how much I appreciate the time you take out of your life for Jan and me.

We can't forget those behind the scene that makes our Share the Care work out so smoothly. Janice has quietly and graciously coordinated our Share the Care Friends with the help of Natalie. Thank you Janice and Natalie for directing our Share the Care Friends!

God Bless all of you!

Good nite Bella, baby Violet, and Spike! Nana loves you!

Aloha,
vi

No comments:

Post a Comment