Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Blog No. 12!!!

Hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend. Now, it's back to work!

Natalie, Daniel, Malia and Spike have been taking great care of me so far, since Glizza has been gone. Well everyone, except for Spike who made a great big mess on his Mama's lap today while visiting her friend, Cappy's store. So Glizza, all is well at home! 

On a bitter sweet note, we bought a Handicap van that will allow my power wheelchair (300 lbs) with BMW wheels and me to travel anywhere on Oahu. In keeping with my spirit, the van  is deep red, and I named it "Big Red." So, I am happy about getting the van, however, sad that I need it and will need to give up my beloved "Olive", my green SUV. 

I attended another PT session, this time I'm back into the water... how nice as it was 88 degrees outside today. Prior to going into the water, Physical Therapist Matt, showed Daniel how to do range of motion for the legs and arms and taught him the importance of doing this every day. Range of motion is important to lengthen the muscles that shorten from inactivity. Because I am in one position most of the day, I look forward to anyone doing range of motion on my arms and legs. 

Finally, tomorrow I will be getting my AVAP (non-invasive breathing machine). Last week we mentioned the benefits and requested this from my physician. I will be fitted for a mask that goes with the AVAP and will be taught how to use it. So, we will let you know. 

A special thank you to Susan and Marc Lanci of Sand Diego who generously donated a substantial sum of money in my honor to MDA - ALS Research Augie's Quest. So thank you, thank you, thank you again! As many of you know, ALS is an orphan disease, which means that no major drug company is trying to find a cure. Therefore, most research is funded by private donations (families and friends like Marc and Susan). 

I want to thank you all again, for your support, love, and prayers. Every night, I thank the lord for friends like you and pray that He will bless and look over you. 

Goodnight Spike, Goodnight Bella! Nana love you!

Goodnight Glizza! Aloha, Vi

P.S. To my wonderful husband, thank you for taking good care of me this weekend. Glizza would be proud!
 

5 comments:

  1. Love you NANNA!!!
    with love and hugs bel and emxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vi
    Daniel looks like he's having fun learning
    how to massage you.
    Love you
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vi. . .
    Your blog is awesome Vi. . . . Thanks Natalie for keeping us updated!!!
    It's great to see your friends and family coming out helping and spending time with you.

    We want to come to Oahu to visit and spend time with all of you. . . .

    Miss you and love you . . . .

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI VIOLET,

    GOT YOUR BLOG FROM BRIAN TANIMOTO---I REMEMBER MEETING YOU AT THE DOUGLAS SHOW---AT THAT TIME I HAD JUST STARTED THIS BUSINESS AND FOR THE PAST 5 YRS HAVE BEEN WORKING LIKE A DOG---I REMEMBER YOU TELLING ME ABOUT YOUR CONDITION AND YOU HAD A CANE--YOU'RE THE SAME VIOLET I KNOW---WOULD BE NICE IF YOU COULD COME TO THE GET TOGETHER IN OCT---TRY TO KEEP IN TOUCH--TAKE CARE---MY EMAIL ADDRESS--MHTFASH@AOL.COM

    HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON--
    MARILYN TAMAMOTO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nanna,
    Hope you are having a wonderful week. Waiting for your new blog!! We love you!!
    Big hugs and kisses em & bel xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete