Friday, May 29, 2009

Lucky Number 13!!!!

Boy have we been busy and the week is not over yet as we go into the weekend. Since we last blogged on Wednesday, we had another beach day, finally got the AVAP and had a Hoyer Lift delivered to our house in town. On top of all of that, we celebrated life such as Daniel's birthday and, mine and Jan's 15th anniversary. Yesterday, we also went to Kuakini Hospital where I took my swallowing evaluation. We continued to interview candidates to replace the Super Glizza. This weekend, we will be attending graduation.

The best news of the week is my swallowing evaluation went well. During this test, an xray video, videos my swallowing while eating various types of foods given to me. Barium is a substance put on all of the foods and is what makes the food detectable on the xray video. I ate foods such as fruit cocktail with barium, bread with Barium and drank Barium water. Yuck, not something I would like to eat everday! The results showed that the base of my tongue is weak and therefore my swallowing is good but not as good as a normal person and the best result is that I am not asperating silently which means liquids or foods are not going into my lungs. I am encouraged to do my swallowing exercises.
(Daniel and Natalie had to wait behind the curtain)
Swimming on Thursday, once again, was fun. The morning started out raining and we almost cancelled until the sun creeped out from behind the clouds. Daniel, Natalie, Malia, Spike, PJ, Bill, Jeannie and Kathy Q. were there to have fun and get wet. The transition of beach to sea was alot smoother. I think my friends are getting the hang of it !!! So everyone got a turn holding and helping me to do my exercises for my legs and arms. Thank you again to all of my friends and see you next week as I love swimming with you!

(Jeannie, PJ, Kathy Q., Natalie, me and Bill)

(Thank you Hana for suggesting the life jacket. We're going to try it again next time)
(Spike is a water baby just like Nana!)
In this disease, one has to be proactive in what is to come and needs for thise disease. The list of needs is endless such as getting registration for the new van, turning over power of attorney, completing the health care directives, getting the AVAP and Hoyer lift, starting Share the Care, actively looking for caregivers to replace Glizza (which would be possibly at least 3 people) and continually transitioning to new equipment. Coordinating and completing all those tasks is a job in itself that Jan single handedly completes while working his full time job. So thank you Jan! Our house is slowly being filled with the necessary medical equipment.

On Thursday, we celebrated Daniel's 26th birthday and my and Jan's anniversary. I want to thank Daniel for completing a whole week with me. Poor Daniel, he has been a fish out of water. Mikala, if you are reading this, Daniel wishes he could have been there and hopes you are getting great waves. So Daniel and Natalie had a really great birthday dinner at Sosobune in town while Jan and I had alone time having dinner at the Outrigger.

(Natalie baked Daniel and really cute cake!)

(Dan wishing for good waves...)
On Sunday, we will be celebrating with Brandon, at his graduation. Brandon is one of the boys that works for Jan in our forest yard for the last 3 years. Congratulations to Brandon and we will miss you next year as he goes away to college in California.
Thank you Randy and Crystal from the Big Island, who brought me beautiful anthiriums.
Goodnight Bella, Goodnight Spike! Nana loves you!

Goodnight Glizza!

(PJ, Vi and Spike peeking through the back)

(This weeks beach gang!)















Aloha, Vi

3 comments:

  1. Hi Vi!

    Great news about your swallowing, how about that barium--you are a superwoman now for sure! Keep up those exercises. Good news too about the van and getting all the equipment you need. Congrats too to Daniel for all the hands one care he's giving you--he had a good teacher. Happy anniversary to you and Jan too!

    love you, lorenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! Sounds like you have had a great week! Thinking of you always, em & bel xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vi! Happy Anniversary. We celebrated Carlee's 16th birthday, too!!! We spent the weekend at Waikaloa. Got too much sun, but great time with the kids and my hanai son - Jimmy Thomas and his wife and baby. We are heading for Utah this Thursday but will be back in Honolulu next month. I'll let you know and hopefully will be able to see you at that time. Congrads on the swallowing and new equipment. You are blessed. We are blessed to have you in our lives. Love you. Beve

    ReplyDelete