Monday, June 1, 2009

Blog 14: This Weekend!

Summer is here! The weather has been hot, hot, hot and sticky. Just imagine what it is going to be like in a month.

We spent a quiet weekend at the North Shore with various friends and family. It was nice not to have to go anywhere or be on a time schedule, so nice! I watched the Mokuleia Sunset with my friend's mother who was visiting from California, while Jan and Don paddled out for exercise. We then had a delicious dinner together. The following night, we had dinner with our neighbors.

We brought my power wheelchair for Jan to practice driving as I am not able to drive it myself. I put my life in Jan's hands as he swerves and speeds down the pathway. He treats it like his toy remote control car! I think he needs more practice. However, Daniel, Natalie and Glizza are pretty good driving my power chair. Daniel says it is because they were brought up playing video games.

The kids came over to eat and take me swimming in the salt water swimming pool. Natalie, Daniel, Malia, Spike and Jan all had a fun time swimming together. I hope we do this more often as it brings family bonding and more exercise for me. Mikala, Emma and Bella will be coming to visit us in a few weeks and they too will join us swimming! Yay!!!

I started using my BIPAP AVAP today for 15 minutes and will gradually increase the time. Using the AVAP is like having someone automatically fill your lungs with air. For me, it was filling my lung spaces that have not been used due to the loss of the use of my chest muscles. After 15 minutes of being on the AVAP, removing the mask created a feeling of difficulty breathing because I was not able to take in as much air on my own as the AVAP put in. However, after my breathing returned to normal, I felt better.

We are in the planning stages to have a second annual Vi's Adventure Trek and Run to be held September 20th at Kualoa Ranch. We will raise money for ALS research and raise awareness of this disease. So, stay tuned for more information. This race will be as much fun or more than last year.

Daniel, Natalie and I ended the day by watching a beautiful sunset at a secret surf spot in Mokuleia. The evening surf was glassy, as Daniel ripped and shredded for an hour and finally had to come in, not on his own accord but because he was not wearing a leash and his board washed in without him. Natalie and I watched 2 big honus diving in the shore break. It was the perfect end to a perfect day!

Speaking of honu, congratulations to my friends who participated in the Honu Half Ironman Triathlon on the Big Island....Stote, Mati, Ruth, Wendy, John and others.

Goodnight Bella. Goodnight Spike, Nana loves you!

Goodnight Glizza!

Aloha, Vi

4 comments:

  1. Howdy Miss Vi!
    It does sound like the N Shore was fun and relaxing. When we were in Kona, it was fun to watch the turtles at one of the black sand beaches and when we did a swim at Hapuna Beach, we also saw a turtle. I heard that some of the 1/2 Ironman competitors also saw turtles during the race but others said they got smacked in the mouth (how well you know!)John Flanigan was the swimmer who was a good minute ahead of even the pros at the 1/2 Iman swim portion. If I can attach a photo, I will send you Stote's duct-taped tri suit that we had to patch just before the race as he ripped it. I tried to make it look like a racing stripe & the gray duct tape matched the gray and blue suit.It wasn't funny at the moment :-)
    Laters! peg and stote

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vi and Jan, so good to read your blogs, keeps us in touch. Looks great in that ocean!! we miss that. We finally got our stuff from Australia and have been real busy emptying boxes and deciding where things should go. we are settling in more each day but miss our great friends in Hawaii like yourselves. We leave next week for Ireland to visit family , looking forward to that. You are in our thoughts and prayers, laurence and Cecelia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you...
    Sounds like a great weekend.
    love you . love emxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sort of familiar with BIPAP (intimately familiar with CPAP) but what is the AVAP part?

    ReplyDelete