Thursday, June 11, 2009

Blog 18: It's Thursday!

(My beautiful orchid that my dear friend Henrik gave me)

Hi all! We are now playing catch-up to the blog. Since our last entry on Tuesday, I have attended physical therapy, interviewed another potential caregiver, looked at Kualoa Beach Park, got a new bed and took a lab test to find out my CO2 level. All of these activities, have centered around Jan, Natalie and Daniel's schedule of activity. 

For the last few days, I have been running as hard as I can away from catching a cold. So, on Tuesday, I decided to do land therapy instead of Aqua Therapy so not to exacerbate my cold. Daniel and Natalie have been taking good care of me, filling me up with vitamin C, green tea, nano greens and Zicam. 

My physician called me last weekend advising that I may have to have the Gastro Tube (I call it the gastronomic tube or the feeding tube) placed in the next month or near future. I knew this was coming about but was hoping it to be later, as once the tube is in place, I may not be able to go swimming anymore.   So I was very disappointed that I couldn't go swimming today because of this cold. I want to be able to swim in the ocean with Isabella who will be coming to visit me in a couple of weeks. 

Instead of swimming, Kathy, Punkin, Stote and Peggy came to our house and spent the afternoon. Picture this, Peggy is brushing my hair, Punkin is massaging one of my feet and Stote is massaging the other foot while Kathy is massaging Stote's back. How fun! Sorry we don't have a picture to prove it! Peggy and Stote even passed toileting 101 by taking me to the potty. Good going Stote and Peggy for the first time! They also relieved Natalie so she could go to work at Jan's office and gave Daniel a few hours to catch the south swell. So, we all thank you for coming up and making my day. Share the Care is here!

Last week, Daniel and I were at ACE Medical Supplies in Wahiawa to look for a sheep skin to put on the back of my power chair. While there, we talked to a sales lady who turned out to be the owner and a nurse acquaintance of mine. When we both recognized we knew each other, Violetta asked if I had a good bed. I told her we had a bed but I have been sleeping in my power chair for the last couple of weeks because of comfort. Violetta said she wanted to give me an air flow mattress that would prevent pressure sores and give me a good night's rest. So today, we received an Invacare MicroAir system bed. I don't know how to thank you enough, Violetta, as I don't think medical insurance would cover this bed. So thank you Violetta with all my heart. My bum thanks you too!

After the bed arrived, Daniel and Natalie had review class on the Hoyer Lift. It was fun to watch Daniel and Natalie learn how to use the Hoyer Lift, transferring each other from the bed to the wheelchair.  Natalie was pretending she couldn't move and Daniel put her into the power chair with the lift and she slithered down the front of the wheelchair to the floor. Practice, practice, practice!

Also this week, I was scheduled for an arterial blood gas lab test that measures acid/base balance, PH and the CO2 level in your blood. It is not official, but the lab tech said my test results were fine. Tomorrow I see my pulmonogist for the results and take another pulmonary function test (breathing test). Wish me good karma for blowing into the tube. 

We are still working on the Fourth of July BBQ and may change the location depending on what we can find available.  So we will keep you posted as time is of the essence. We are still looking for anyone that may be able to donate food such as hot dogs, hamburgers, buns, condiments, beverages, etc.

Until tomorrow... 

Goodnight Bella, Goodnight Spike! Nana loves you!

Goodnight Glizza!

Aloha, Vi


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very busy few days! Bellas international day was wonderful. She sang with all her classmates and really enjoyed herself. We are thinking of you and miss you. My belly is getting bigger! Love you, love emxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with those PFTs! Keep blowing, keep blowing, keep blowing......!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vi!! Nancy and I were on a walk and she told me about your blog site.What a great thing to do. Sounds like you have some good friends to pamper you all together. Reminds me of Bali facials with someone giving me a foot massage at the same time. Maybe we'll get back to Oahu when our new munchkin gets a little older. Say hi to your gang. We love you lots, Courtney, Hans and Isaiah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vi,
    In your pics ~ that smile on your face tells all how much you love being in the ocean!! Got to see your nephew Brian at the wedding today. This is a too small an island I didn't know his girlfriend is Keala's sister ~ really nice and fun person! Jason and wife Desiree has a very nice wedding and party.
    looking forward to seeing you one of these days!

    Old favorite ~ John 3:14-17 "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not persih but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." Amen
    Love you my BFF, Liz
    ps posted this incorrectly, oh well I'll get it right one day, chat with you later!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vi,

    I appreciate you keeping all of us updated on your physical and mental health -- you are such a strong and beautiful person.
    I will be on Oahu for my granddaughter's Hula competition (07/15 - 07/19) and am so looking forward to spending time with you and the family.
    My friend Nettie (Kukui's Mom) and I vigilantly follow your blog, please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Your forever sister-in-law,
    Renie

    ReplyDelete